Monday 16 July 2012

The Wedding Weekend

This weekend has been one of, if not the best, since I arrived here in Zim. We went up to Harare on Friday at lunchtime and got back yesterday around five. It ended up being only Maria, John and I who went up and then we left Maria there to go on a houseboat on Kariba with some of the others for nearly a week. When we arrived at Tom (Maria's cousin) and Wendy's house we were not the only ones there and it filled up as the evening went on. Quite a few Swedish speaking people (all old). After dark sometime we were guided to Tom's office where we three were staying, on matresses on the floor. Huge big house. Before saying goodnight we watched the second Sherlock Holmes with Robert Downey Jr. Sooooooooo funny. We laughed and laughed and laughed so hard. There was one part were Sherlock rides a little pony and we actually rewinded like three times because it was so funny!

Next day we took a short trip to the fleemarket, where Maria bought nailvarnish and we met some of the Aussies who had come back from the roadtrip and were getting ready for the wedding as well. After a pizza each with Maria stressed out about it taking so long time we were going to be late, we got back home showered and so on and ended up with me doing a french braid on Maria while John painted her nails... But we got to the meeting point in time anyway. We jumped onto a bus they had to take us out to the wedding spot, about 45 minutes out of town, up on a big hill. The way the bus and cars drove up to it, over fields and big rocks was amazing, though at one point we thought we were really going to tip over.

The wedding ceremony was so lovely and pretty and nice. The whole village below the hill where there and watched as well. After photoshoots we headed back through the African sunset to a café that Dean's (the groom, Tom's son) sister and mother owned which was beautifully decorated. Everybody under a huge tent with a band playing as well. So many of the Australians were really good musicians, since Sophie (the bride) plays cello superwell. The reception was full of speeches, food, chatting, drinking and music.

I decided quite late that since Dean had a little bit of Swedish blood in him I would play him a Swedish polska. But there were no violins there, so I asked one of the girls who had played viola at the ceremony if I could try to play it on her viola. She said yes, but that it was a really bad one she had borrowed from somewhere here. It was bad, but I managed to get it to sound all right anyway. Then the other viola player said I should borrow hers instead, because it was better, so I said thank you and did. After playing the polska once the whole African band joined in and it sounded really amazing, such fun! When I then went to pack up the viola the owners boyfriend (an amazing cellist) came and told me that yes, that viola was a real bargain, they got it for 20 000 dollars, when it really was worth 40 000 ...!!! And the bow as well was worth 6000 ... Ahhh!!!! Nearly had a heartattack. Apparently it was a 210 year old Engligh antique viola that I had been bashing around out there!!!! Oh boy, I still can't get my head around it...

After that we danced 'til we were dripping. The Australians really were so so so nice, I loved them! Slowly but surely people dropped off and Maria took the car home. John and I got back half past four after a truly wonderful night. In the morning we dropped off Maria and then headed straight for Pizza Inn. No hangover can be really cured without pizza and a coke. The drive home was easy and nice with blasting music and only one road block which we were waved through.

As soon as I got home I then phoned Jill and asked if I could fetch the car, which I could and I now have a not so bright yellow Nissan Sunny again!! Yey!! Amazing, it is so nice to have a car...

Right, this novel should be finished by now. Filled up with new photos now, so should be arriving at nellieinafrica.tumblr.com soon enough.


Tjoho!!

No comments:

Post a Comment