Saturday 21 July 2012

Unspoiled Zimbabweans in an Ice Age

You would think that being from Sweden I would manage really cold temperatures. But here it is now 20 degrees in the shade and I was freeeezing inside. So I moved outside into semishade, but there is a wind, which cools me down just as well here.

This week that's been has been one of the coldest this winter. Apparently it snowed down South, but thankfully we don't come that close to the minus degrees. Then I really would have died. It has also been a week of power cuts. On Monday we didn't have any power at the Academy and Wednesday we had two. That's sort of what it's been like all over. People are talking of Hwange powerstation being down, or big debts not been paid or the zesa workers going on strike. Anyhow, it's a bit annoying.

I collected a parcel yestarday that mum had sent, with a Aftonbladet (newspaper) and Fotoguiden (photo magasine) (both from March) and Joe said how strange it was reading what the Swedes were complaining about. Such little things compared to here. It's true, but you get used to life here in a way. You know to make backup plans or just go with the flow. Take it as it comes. Such a difference from Sweden. People in Sweden have asked me what the biggest difference between here and there is and I've had to think really hard, because everything is so different. But I think I've come to one conclusion anyway and that is the way of looking at life. We talk of I-country problems in Sweden, luxury worries. When you don't have any really life threatening problems. Here you don't find that way of thinking at all as much. Only amongst the top top classes, and that still isn't anywhere close to what it's like in Sweden. People have bigger things to worry about here, more pressing matters to overcome and to survive. Already now people are suffering from too little rain the summer that was. Hunger, water rationing and stuff like that. But still they are so friendly and happy and thankful. They know what a life is worth. Really. They aren't spoiled like we Europeans are. We are spoiled with easyness, everything works and is stable. It has made me so much more aware of how lucky I was to be born where I was. I have got so many luxurys for free and not really realised it.

And despite having alot of problems I nearly like life here more. Parts of it anyway. The tempo, the sun, the mostly helpful and friendly people and having a relaxed life, not at all as stressful as I had in Sweden. When I came here first I went mad if I stayed on the plot for a whole day and did nearly nothing. I could not relax. Now I often spend a whole day at home filling it with only sleep, tv, moives, books, internet, cooking and a walk about the garden. I don't feel like the day is wasted. So nice. But I do still need to get out a lot, two days of doing nothing is the maximum; then I do go mad. Yesterday was a deep laze day, so today I have skyped my dear Swedish family + gran for two hours which made most of my day. Then Maria came back from Kariba as well, and I hope I'll be able to go out to Matopos later today. So the day is filling up with fun stuff.

Right, that is quite enough talking, better get going with life.
African hugs to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment