Tuesday 26 June 2012

Glad midsommar i efterskott Sverige!


After nearly a week of internetlessness I am going back to the academy and am ready for business as usual. The weekend that we just left was exeat weekend, which here is half term and means that schools close early on Thursday and open again on Tuesday. And since all the kids were off I didn’t have any lessons then either. Instead I went to a braai at Thembi’s on Saturday, which was nice, and then spent the night and half next day there as well. I slept on the sofa, which for once was way too short for me, but I managed without any problems thank goodness. It was quite funny when Ben, Vuzi and William were supposed to get the fire started, they were all sure it would be really easy and then none of them managed to get it started, so I had to do it! Haha, I had a good laugh about that one. Thanks for all the braai-training dad!  

Another interesting thing that evening was that I got a lesson in how to make sadsa. It’s like a really really thick porridge made out of mealiemeal (majsmjöl), and you eat it with your meat and vegetables, like rice or potatoes. But it is actually quite a skill to get it good. I wasn’t fast enough with the whisking, so Thembi had to take over. But I did get a souvenir from the sadsa-making; a nice boil from where the superduper hot boiling sadsa splashed onto my hand…

Then yesterday Vuzi, Sam ( a very musical student) and I got together and played around with lots of different instruments to make some interesting music. We were all interested in stuff like Sigur Ros, Mogwai and other post rock/alternative music, so that’s mostly what we did. It was such great fun, I absolutely loved it! The two top instruments that morning were both Sam’s doing; playing with a violin bow on a saw or electric guitar. Amazing. We are now looking into getting a looping station, but they’re all so expensive and far away, so we’ll see when that happens. It would be so cool if we had one.

Yesterday evening Vuzi and I also played at like a couple’s evening, which was sort of a marriage course I think. We had fun though, playing for a while and then getting dinner (and a looovely apple pie for dessert (really, people should always pay me in desserts)), so it was a successful evening. We even improvised a bit at the end, which I never ever do, but it went well and was fun.

Now I should head off to the academy. (I’m at home, writing in word again.) So toodles everyone, pictures should be tripping off to tumblr soon soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment