Wednesday 1 February 2012

Miss you Milko

I have soon been here for 4 weeks. A month! I can hardly get my head around it.
Anyway. Tomorrow I am going to Immigrations to extend my Visa, which I hope will go well. No need to tell them I’ve actually got a job here. Yet. I am waiting and hoping that I will get my residence and working permit soon, and get one less thing to worry about. Not that I worry a lot, seeing as everything is going so well and I am so happy to be here.

One of my students mum asked me today if I missed Sweden and my answer was that I miss you, the people, but I don’t want to go home at all. Here I have a fully functioning life, with a job and new challenges every day. Sweden is nothing new and if I went home now, what on earth would I do? No, I am very happy to be where I am, even if some things are extremely different from Sweden. The way people interact, the way they are divided into different cliques and groups, the food in the shops, the morning, midmorning, lunchtime, afternoon, and evening tea. Life is different. But still, because of all this globalization some things are just the same. I see Blackberries, the latest Mercedes and films that haven’t come out in Sweden yet.

The worst difference and one that makes a huge impact in my life is of course … the yoghurt. A liter of yogurt here costs more than 4 dollars!!! How am I supposed to stay within my budget when a liter of yogurt costs 4 dollar?!?!! Sure, once in a while I could by one, but I can eat one of those in less than three days if I want and that pretty soon becomes a lot of dollars. I have tried not having it for breakfast, but I missed it so much I quickly bought two tubs of it. Withdrawal symptoms here as well. Problem is I don’t really know what I am supposed to eat for breakfast if not yoghurt and muesli. It is what I have been eating for breakfast the last 4-6 years. Totally addicted. Still love it. But this will be one of the challenges of living here, not an extreme one, just something different.

Today I had my 12th lesson, which as always became longer than it was meant to, but the 8 year old girl was so eager and wanted to play so much that it didn’t really matter. It so fun that all my students are so into playing that they suck up everything I say and practice every day and just want to learn more and more. It makes me like teaching.

Tomorrow I am going to get my hair cut. Wah! At last, it has been over a year since I cut my hair last time. I nearly have an idea of how I want it, but I am too indecisive to have decided that already. A wash and haircut at the place I am going to costs 15 dollars. I thought “Wow, that’s cheap!”. Then I told Maria and she said “No, it’s not cheap for being here.”. Amazing.

Outside the shades are growing longer and the constantly blue sky is just as beautiful as ever. Though we really need more rain. I am soon going to drive home. So goodbye for now, you know I think about you all every hour.

Nellie

1 comment:

  1. And to think you won't even be able to have Milko when you come home, it is just tragic!! But I heard on the radio the other day that you acctually can get addicted to milk and yoghurt and such, so your withdrawal can very much be real! ;)

    ReplyDelete