Monday 13 February 2012

Good afternoon everyone!

It's so fun, because people actually say good morning, good afternoon and good evening here! Som om jag någonsin sagt god kväll seriöst ... eh nej. Anyway, everybody is so polite when it comes to greeting here. Always a how are you and fine thanks how are you and nice too meet you and have a nice evening etc. Strange, but kind of fun. Especially the older people here are very kind and ... hm, polite in their ways. The men open car doors for me, see to that I go through the door first, ask to carry things for me and other gentlemanly things. And I mean they don't do it only for me, they do it for all the women. So nice. 

Yesterday I was out at Matopos, a national park about 30 km outside town, and was the only person my age as usual, but it was such fun. Their was like a catholic mass, so I was totally lost, but the fun came afterwards when everybody sits around and eats lunch. There is a braai (barbecue) and everybody brings their own food and drinks. Maria, Joe, Dan and I had, just like everyone else, brought coleslaw, so lots of coleslaw wit the meat (milis (majs) in my case). The man I sat next to first had brought his own home brewed beer and wine, but I stuck to my litchi drink, which is dangerously good. Of course it just has to rain when we are sitting outside with no cover over our heads. So we all stood under the eves for a while, until we resorted to a covered area (see the tumblr for pictures). Most people being a tiny bit tipsy we laughed and laughed and I learnt a magic trick from a man called Bernard. Since it was Joe's birthday on Thursday we all sang happy birthday and ate cakes. A happy day, and on the way back we went at racing speed through some deep dips on the road home, the same feeling as a roller coaster. Yey! We had to break for some baboons though. (see tumblr) 

On Saturday I went for a long, hard walk and I could definitely feel that I have not done that for a while... can still feel it mind you. I miss being able to just put on my ski boots and do a ski around the lake or on the fields. But then again, I am able to run around an orange tree chasing a dog. Not so common hobby in Sweden. Today I have no lessons, so I had a lie-in and then made american pancakes for brunch and ate them while watching Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Great, though very different, film. You must see it. This week, like the last two ones, I plan to buy a bike, but we'll see how it goes. 

Now comes the afternoon tea, so toodeloo. 

No comments:

Post a Comment