Monday 27 August 2012

Antelope park

I thought I'd give you a few more words about our trip up to Antelope Park. It's just outside Gweru, and took us probably two hours to get there. Heather drove all thw way of course, in her sweet Cherrybomb (Honda Fit). So we got there at around three and Linda and I set up camp, while Heather and John had a River Tent. At four we headed out on a short gamedrive with some other people as well. We saw impala, a tawny eagle, wildebeest, zebras, giraffes, lions, some type of antilope, hartebeest and weaverbirds nests. We even got chased for a tiny bit by a lion that was being walked by some staff, because we came close to where it was hunting some zebras. The rest of the evening was spent eating and drinking and having fun until quite late.

Next morning (actually it was still night) at half past five Linda and I woke up (barely) and soon headed out on a walk with two lions and maybe ten other people. But first a long safety talk. It was quite surreal walking with them and stopping to sit next to and pat them. The sunrise as we started the walk was just so beautiful and all the photos got a lovely glow about them. Our guide took lots of photos with my camera and said he had by now probably handled around 4000 cameras on all his guided tours... Back at camp Linda collapsed in the tent again and I made myself pancakes before we then packed up everything, put it in Heather's car and checked out.

At ten we rode the elephants for an hour, which was cool. I rode Thombi, 23 years together with an elephant trainer who taught me a lot about elephants. Interesting stuff, which I of course will have forgotten in a week. Then Linda and I soaked some sun while the other two went fishing. I actually got a tan and didn't get burnt!! Can you believe it?! At three we jumped in the car and went home again after 24 hours of holiday. Sweet.

So that was our first real touristy thing. Then we had a goodbye braai on Saturday for John, who is leaving for Sweden tomorrow. And a sushi evening tonight. Good times!

Linda and I are now completely locked on an app called Wordfeud, which is like Scrabble but on the phone. So a few more words now, then we'll make some Zs. Nighty!

No comments:

Post a Comment