Friday 27 January 2012

The only side left

I don't think I could have got a better job than the one I have here, since within two minutes walking distance from the Academy lies Eskimo hut, the best ice cream place in town. Anyway, today has been a not so busy day, quite alike any other here. It is strange to find me out of bed before eight in the morning, usually I get up around nine, which fits me absolutely perfect. About an hour later I will be driving through the gate in the little Nissan Sunny, so old that it doesn't even have a place for the radio. Terrible, since half the fun of driving is blasting music and singing with it. The Sunny is the Academy's car, but I borrow it to go between work and home in the weekdays. 

Driving here is a completely different thing from what I have been doing in Sweden, except the basic stuff. First of all, they drive on the left side!! I had never ever driven on the wrong side of the road, in a car with the steering wheel on the wrong side as well, before I last Tuesday borrowed it to get home in the afternoon. Alone. I can't have been more than five cm from the brick wall as I drove out through the Academy gates. Then I got lost, since I had listened to Tookie's instructions, but eventually found my way back, a nervous wreck. My right hand kept on wanting to do the shifting of the gears, so I frequently went for the indicators instead. And I haven't even started on the security. I am told not to stop at red lights at nighttime, preferably not to drive alone at all at night and to never be stopped by the police. Now I am already used to driving on the left, not having a left wing mirror and learning my way around the area. 

But now I have to rush off, I am supposed to meet some people to go watch hockey and then hang out afterwards. So have a nice weekend and you'll hear from me next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment