Wednesday 25 January 2012

After 18 days in Bulawayo...

I am alive! Despite my 19 days and a few hours of Internet-absence I do actually manage to have a life down here. I am ashamed to say that I have had serious withdrawal symptoms and that I couldn't stop smiling when I a few minutes ago at last got access to the big world wide web. Actually I am really lucky, since the Internet I'm on now is the one at work, which they only just got today! So, happy days, as Tookie would say. Anyway, I could tell you all about my life here, but that would be a lot, so I will do it a bit now and then.

I should probably explain why I am writing this all in English. The thing is that none of my family overseas (as people say  down here) speak Swedish, so they wouldn't understand if I wrote in Swedish and google translate sort of doesn't always work all that well with my Swedish. You Swedes on the other hand read English very well, so it doesn't matter if I write in English or in Swedish, right? I do wright a whole lot better in Swedish, but whatever. I'll probably write in Swedish sometime during the year. 

The sun is shining outside, which it nearly always does. This is supposed to be rainy season, but it hasn't rained as much as it should. It is a bit weird when suddenly you're supposed to like rain and rain clouds, which I in Sweden nearly always hate. It is summer here and when I arrived it was stinking hot, so hot that it was difficult to sleep you know. Now it has cooled down a little and I am looooving the temperature. Absolutely perfect. The other day it was 22 degrees in the morning and that was a bit too cold, so I took a shawl with me to work, but otherwise it is shorts and T-shirt weather all the time and there doesn't go a day without me sometime getting sweaty. One thing I am quite proud of is the fact that I haven't got sun burnt badly yet. There is the occasional beetrootface, but it usually only lasts a couple of hours. The thing is that I am actually inside most of the days, it is on the weekends that I have to watch out, and actually put on suntan lotion. 

I should do the basic facts for you, so that you know what I am talking about in the future:

I am, for a year, living in Zimbabwe in a city called Bulawayo and working as a violin teacher at The Zimbabwe Academy of Music. So far I have 6 students, who have one half hour lesson per week. I will also be helping with a school music group at Girl's College and later I will be part of a project out in the Western Suburbs. 
I stay with my mum's childhood friend Maria, her husband Joe and at the moment Joe's brother Dan as well. Maria and Joe have two sons, Steven and John. Steven lives in Sweden and John in Bulawayo. 
The lady who helped me get my job is called Jill and she lives quite close to where I am staying. She has a pool... 
I get to borrow a car from the academy for going to and from work, but we are looking at getting me a bicycle as well. 
Hm, I can't think of any other very important facts, most of it I'll probably sneak into my writing here during the year. 

I won't write much more today, but yup, I love it here and I love it here and soon enough I will have established a real life. I miss you all, had a little homesickness breakdown after a week, but since then everything has gone fine. Because of the state of Internet here I am not sure skype or uploading pictures will work well, if at all, so we'll just have to see how things go. Anyway, I am getting sore elbows so I better stop writing. 

Lots of love from Nellie

2 comments:

  1. Vad roligt att du har det bra Nellie! Skrev det på facebook med men jag tänkte bara prova att kommentera här med :P Kramar! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super fun to get to read about your adventures!! Ha de gött!! Kram

    ReplyDelete